What is DHIS2?
DHIS2, the District Health Information Software, is an open-source platform for data collection, analysis and reporting of healthy system data. Ministries of Health in over 60 countries use DHIS2 to monitor both aggregate and patient-level data. Blue Raster has had the opportunity to create enhanced visualizations of data collected and stored in DHIS2 using Power BI and ArcGIS Online.
What is enhanced visualization?
While the DHIS2 platform has inbuilt data visualization capabilities, Blue Raster found opportunities to optimize the presentation of data for decision making in the form of interactive dashboards using Power BI and geospatial analysis using ArcGIS Online. We determined that Power BI and ArcGIS Online were the right tools for the job, and we created an automated workflow to extract data directly from DHIS2 for processing and display in other tools.
Why use those additional technologies?
Using Power BI and ArcGIS Online adds analytic value and the opportunity to customize the look and feel of DHIS2 visualizations.
Advantages of Power BI:
- Additional data processing/cleaning prior to visualization
- Cross-filter and cross-highlight between different visualizations
- Drill up and down in geographic hierarchies
- Copy and paste specific visuals and export data from visuals
Advantages of ArcGIS Online:
- Explore connections between data using customizable interactive maps
- Develop professional-looking web applications to visualize data using out of the box configurable tools
- Perform statistical and geospatial analysis using your data sets and sources from ESRI’s Living Atlas (library of curated datasets)