Small City + Big Data = Time to Modernize IT
Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. It is primarily residential in nature within close proximity to interstate and railway transportation into the heart of the Greater Metropolitan Washington DC area. modernize IT
The city had an aging, homegrown solution for their GIS data and wanted to modernize the system so that it would meet the current and future needs of City operations including tax assessment, public works, emergency response, parks and recreation, and zoning to name a few. Being a small city with an even smaller staff, the system needed to be easy to use and maintain for a team that did not include GIS professionals.
Creating a Town Square for Data
Blue Raster implemented Esri tools, including ArcGIS Online, Experience Builder, and ArcGIS Dashboards, to aggregate all data into a single cloud-enabled solution. Doing so meant users across city operations had access to data that could inform them of their planning and day-to-day operations.
- Economic Dashboards show tax assessment growth over time as well as show revenue generated from meals tax and business licensees by neighborhood.
- The parks department now has a single view into their multiple data sources. They can now access and view membership for the city-run waterpark, visitor numbers for that waterpark, and community center reservations in a single application.
- The police can now overlay data from multiple ticketing systems (parking, civil disturbance, and traffic) to get a holistic view of where violations are happening.
- Fire and rescue can now see 911 data to get a sense of any patterns in where and when calls come in.
First Step Toward Cloud
The city manager is using this GIS project as a pilot to show what can be done when the City utilizes the power of cloud technology. Pointing to the success of these applications, he hopes to gain buy in and funding for modernizing other areas of the City’s IT infrastructure to a cloud-based system.
Ready to find out more?
- Posted in
- State & Local
- ArcGIS Experience Builder
- ArcGIS Online
- Emergency Management
- Operations Dashboard
- Public Safety
- Disposal of Debris after Disaster: Blue Raster partners with CDR Maguire to quantify and monitor disposal of debris material
- Driving Forward with VDOT’s Integrated Directional Signing Program
- Blue Raster Exhibits and Presents at the 2023 North Carolina ArcGIS Users Group Conference
- Esri Streams Real-Time Data to ArcGIS Online with Velocity
- Transitioning from Web AppBuilder to Experience Builder: Get Ready for a New Experience